With United Services College in the background
The original Link House was situated on the eastern end of the Estate, built in about 1881/82 and named Link House by a devotee of golf, possibly a Mr Prior, who leased the land in 1882 from James Taylor Esq.
24 June 1882 the Link House plot was leased to R.C. Prior 99 years
The building was a large 7 bedroomed gentlemen’s residence, with large garden, lawns and a small enclosure of arable land. A very popular lodging house.
In 1906 Mrs Marion Molesworth (died 8 October 1921) lived in Link House. She was the wife of Reginald Molesworth (brother of George Mill Frederick Molesworth a well known and distinguished gentlemen of Westward Ho!)
During WW2 it was occupied by the Americans and later became derelict. It was at one time considered to be turned into a Nursing Home. In 1967 the property was demolished to make way for flats. The second phase was completed in late 1980’s making 48 flats and garages.
|Marine Villa||Robert PRIOR||57||Head builder (employing 20 men, 12 boys)||Devon, Powderham|
|Ann ESSERY||40||Daughter in Law, Dressmaker|
|William T GEONSAN?||40||Grandson, Scholar||Bideford|
|Elizabeth Harris||13||Domestic servant||Northam|
|Eastbourne Terrace||Richard C PRIOR||42||Bideford|
|Sarah PRIOR||42||Winsford Somerset|
|Mary Ann PRIOR||11|
|Ann EMERY||54||unmarried||Abbotsham, Devon|
The site in 1985: