Nelson Inn / Beacon Lights
(the above photo was from before the buildings demolition in 2010)
1907 For Sale:
Lot 10 The Freehold Detached Residence known as ‘Beacon Lights’ situate at the South West corner of the property comprised in the previous lot and close to the railway station.
The house occupies a corner position standing back from the roads bounding it on the South and West and from which it is protected by a stone wall surmounted by wood trellis. It is cement-faced and slated and contains- On the first floor Four Bedrooms each with mantel and stove, Box Room, Bath Room and W.C.
On the ground floor Conservatory, Entrance Hall, Three Sitting Rooms each with mantel and stove, and bedroom with mantel and stove.
On the lower ground floor Three Bedrooms, Kitchen, Scullery, Larder, Coal Store and WC.
This property covers an area of about 0a.0r.39p and has frontages to roads on the South and West
together amounting to about 205ft.
It is let to and in the occupation of Mrs Wise as a yearly tenant at a rental of per £40 Ann. The Tenant agreeing to pay Rates and Taxes.
31st JANUARY 1910
FOR SALE With immediate possession the following:
The freehold Dwelling house known as Beacon Lights situated near the Station and commanding fine sea views.
21st MARCH 1911:
The freehold Dwelling House garden and Premises known as ‘Rossmore’ and formerly as Beacon Lights situated near the station and commanding fine sea views.
4th June 1918:
Sale tomorrow westward Ho! Mr A W Cock F.A.I is instructed to sell by public Auction at the Pebbleridge Hotel on Wednesday June 5 1918 at 5p m prompt the following detached freehold residence known as ‘Beacon Lights’ Westward Ho! situate opposite the railway hall.
On the first floor 4 beds,box room, bathroom and w.c.On the ground floor Conservatory, entrance hall, 3 sitting rooms and bedroom.On the lower ground floor 2 beds Kitchen scullery larder,coal shed and W.C.
There is a capital garden.
It is now owned and occupied by Mrs France. Early possession can be given.
1970’s it was purchased by Mr Vaggers. A boating lake at rear which was in full swing in 1973.
Property let and later sold to a Mrs Brambley, an American lady
Towards the end of the 1970’s it became The Nelson Inn.
Dennis and Patricia Voice brought the then Beacon Lights at auction in 1975/76. The building was empty at this time and they opened it as the Captains table in 1976. They only stayed for about 18 months and later opened the fishing tackle / craft shop in the buildings that were developed by Nick Laws next to his newsagents.