Torridge House

Torridge House was built by Molesworth intending to become a sanatorium but later became a guest house.

Highgate School was evacuated here during WW2. It was then taken over by the Army and was the headquarters of C.O.X.E.

It is now apartments named Kingsley Court.

Bideford Gazette January 1906:

Torridge Boarding House. Fashionable Boarding House under same management for 37 years. Private families and Golfers accommodation opposite Union Club, overlooking and within a few minutes walk of the sea. Terms on Application to management.


With the second world war looming in 1938 this school made plans to evacuate its pupils to westward Ho! The governers signed an agreement in February 1939 giving them the option of 4 years lease on Buckleigh Place.
The other properties to be occupied in Westward Ho! were The Merley (now The Pier House) and Rockingham Hotels.